|Middleweight||154–160 lbs (69.85 – 72.57 kg)|
|Welterweight||140–147 lbs (63.50 – 66.67 kg)|
|Lightweight||130–135 lbs (58.96 – 61.23 kg)|
|Featherweight||122–126 lbs (55.33 – 57.15 kg)|
What are the 17 weight classes in boxing?
In Olympic-style amateur boxing the weight divisions for men are:
- light flyweight, not more than 108 pounds (49 kg)
- flyweight, 115 pounds (52 kg)
- bantamweight, 123 pounds (56 kg)
- lightweight, 132 pounds (60 kg)
- light welterweight, 141 pounds (64 kg)
- welterweight, 152 pounds (69 kg)
- middleweight, 165 pounds (75 kg)
Why do boxers have weight classes?
Furthermore, weight classes are designed with boxers’ safety in mind. In a mismatched fight, the smaller opponent stands a much greater risk of suffering a serious injury. Simply put, boxing is dangerous enough already without pitting smaller fighters against physically larger opponents.
How many boxing divisions are there?
Designed to limit the number of mismatches between opponents of different sizes, over the years the number of weight classes has grown from the original eight divisions (flyweight, bantamweight, featherweight, lightweight, welterweight, middleweight, junior middleweight and heavyweight) to the 17 divisions used today.
How heavy is Anthony Joshua?
Despite Hearn claiming Joshua would weigh around 235–240 pounds, he officially weighed a career-heavy 254 pounds, while Takam came in a 235 pounds. On fight night, in front of nearly 80,000 fans in attendance, Joshua retained his world titles with what many believed was a premature stoppage in round ten.
Who is the number 1 ranked boxer in the world?
1. Canelo Alvarez. There is no fighter in boxing with the star power or a resume that compares to Canelo Alvarez. He is not only number one boxer in the world today, he is making a case for being the greatest Mexican fighter in boxing history.
What weight was Muhammad Ali?
Canelo Alvarez and Ilunga Makabu meeting and facing off for the first time at the WBC convention today… The Guadalajara-born fighter will have to move up in his weight class, from 168 lbs. to the cruiserweight division at 175 lbs. to take on Makabu.
Does weight matter in a fight?
Both height and weight play significant roles when determining an advantage in a fight. Especially in an unregulated fight, the heavier opponent will have an advantage as they have increased muscle mass, allowing them to hit harder and withstand strikes from their opponent more easily.
How do you know your boxing weight?
Calculating Your Ideal Natural Weight Class
- Figure out your current body fat level.
- Figure out your lean body mass.
- Add the appropriate amount of fat back on to your LBM.
- Look up your new weight in the boxing weight class chart – that’s your ideal natural weight class.
How many weights are in boxing?
Every division from heavyweight to minimumweight explained. All the divisions explained. There are 17 weight classes in boxing, which are designed to set up fair contests between different fighters in the sport. The fight class comes in at 105lbs, and then scales all the way up to the 200lb-plus heavyweights.